Serious times here in the good ‘ol U S of A! The tragedy in Dallas is the most recent in a seemingly unending nightmare of mass shootings. It comes on the heels of another hate crime and terroristic catastrophe in Orlando. Omar Mateen, a Muslim ISIS influenced loyalist, entered a gay bar two weeks ago, heavily armed. He killed 49 people and wounded another 53 before he was killed by a member of the SWAT team. It’s just now coming to light and being reported that Micah Johnson, the Dallas shooter, had strong ties to Islam, himself. Radical Islam is a term that we’re hearing almost every day now. But it’s a term that our President refuses to utter. I think we all know why!! It’s a problem that’s growing by the day and something must be done immediately to close the door.
Racial tension is at a fever pitch, the most intense that I can remember in my lifetime. If it wasn’t for knowing the Lord has our solutions it’d be extremely discouraging. I’ve thought about how we should respond as humans, as Americans….but more important as Christians. Here’s a few practical things that each of us can do that I think’ll make a difference.
- Pray! It always makes a difference. As you pray your level of faith will rise.
- Take it to the Lord. Inquire of the Lord ‘how’ you should pray. When you do that your prayers will be strategic.
- Get the facts. There’s so much false and conflicting information out there by the media that it takes work to find out the ‘actual’ truth.
- Be an agent of positive change. Each of us has a ‘circle of influence’. We can influence those around us in a positive way.
- Watch your mouth! This one may be just for me! It’s so easy for me to go negative with my mouth. It’s not good….it doesn’t work!
- Be careful with your social media comments and responses. *Everything your read on FaceBook is NOT true! Don’t treat it as such!
- Pray for and Support law enforcement. Now, more than ever they need our support!
- Use your ‘voice’ – The larger your audience – The greater your responsibility. Speak truth; speak with maturity.
- Don’t take the ‘bait’! – Love instead! Lots of ‘race baiting’ out there right now. Be wise!
- Stay the course! This is not an overnight fix. Don’t get discouraged, don’t throw in the towel.
As believers it’s our responsibility to bring ‘light’ during these ‘dark’ times.
Let’s make a difference!
This is not a conclusive list. I’d be interested in your own thoughts. Let me hear from you!