Father’s Day, it’s nice to be honored for being a Dad! As I thought about what I’d teach on Father’s Day (which was yesterday), it became apparent to me that as dads go….I’ve had it pretty good. And while we didn’t grow up going to church, Cliff Taylor really had it together in how to be a great dad. So, in preparing my message for yesterday I wanted to approach it with three emphases. 1) A day to honor The Father. 2) Encourage dads to become ‘spiritual’ fathers. 3) Practical tips for being a great dad. As I remembered the extremely positive things Cliff Taylor (and Charlene Taylor too!!) did in raising my brother, Monty and me….it seemed that these traits would be pertinent for spiritual fathers as well…..and traits that God, our Father, possesses as well.
1) He took us; My dad took us with him anytime it was possible. *We learned a lot just be ‘being with’ him
2) He helped us do things; He made the things that were important to us….important to him…even when he couldn’t really afford it!
3) He taught us; We grew up on a ranch. We learned all kinds of things. We could do things at 10 or 11 that most men couldn’t
4) He was an example; Cliff Taylor was a great example of a man. The most important thing was in how he treated people.
5) He corrected us; He believed in correction! We’re better men, by far, because of it.
6) He believed in us; Somehow he imparted to us that ‘we could do it’
7) He was there; Well, he was literally ‘there’, but he was and still is ( at 86 yrs old) here when we need someone
8) He loved my mom; One of the best things a dad can do for his kids. Good job, Dad!
9) He protected us; There was never a time that we felt in danger when dad was around. Nobody messed with us.
10) He loved us; There was never a question. He said it…..and he showed it!
*God, the Father, is like that too!
Apply these principles with your natural children, and apply them with your ‘spiritual’ children and you’ll be way ahead of the game!
Oh, and incidentally, my Father’s Day was totally off the charts! My youngest son, Clay and his pretty wife, Chelsea announced to us that they’re going to have a baby in January!! What a Father’s Day!!