RSS

The Bible Belt – “The Land of Never Enough”

26 Apr

After 30 years or so in the ministry there are things you start to notice, things that stand out. There are patterns of thought and behavior that seem to be deeply woven into the fabric of Bible Belt mentality. One such pattern that runs very deep among born again believers is that one can never do enough to get,….or stay, in good standing with God. If you wonder why I say that, here’s why; I hear it all the time; “I don’t go to church enough”, “I don’t pray enough”, “I don’t read the Bible enough”, “I don’t have enough faith”, “I’m not a very good Christian”, I hope I”m going to heaven”. I just heard this from a man yesterday, “I think God has given up on me”. I refuted that lie as quick as I could!

It’s a prevalent attitude with many people always thinking they can never do enough, or be good enough to satisfy the Lord. It gives the feeling they’re trying to serve a God that’s unreasonably demanding and impossible to please. It’s like being on a treadmill of performance in an effort to earn their righteousness; A state, in fact, that many never seem to arrive at. This is a problem of the highest order, in my opinion, because it gives an incorrect image of ‘Who’ God actually is. It’s one of the greatest misportrayals the world has ever seen. There are many out there who’ll live their entire lives believing they were never quite acceptable or good enough to please God. And, what’s worse is that it leads one to believe that the Father’s love based entirely on our behavior.

Sad,…. Sad,…. Sad!

The danger of ‘never enough’ exists anytime a mixture of law and grace are preached. And, sadly enough…..that’s what happens most of the time in the Bible Belt. Paul spent the last half of his life contrasting law and grace. He knew them both well….in fact better than anyone on the planet in his generation. He was a staunch defender of grace even after it caused him to be beaten more than once and left for dead. It was controversial then….it’s controversial now…..but only to those who believe their behavior is what makes them righteous.

So, tell me, what’s on your list of things to do that make you righteous? And, while you’re at it explain to me where the line is of, enough….or not enough. Truth is, if you never read your Bible, if you never went to church your righteousness isn’t diminished one bit. I’m not advocating that….just pointing it out! You’re not righteous because of what you do…..you’re righteous because of what He did! The Father doesn’t love you because you’re good…..He loves you because He’s good!

THAT, in itself, makes me want to do good!

Good fathers would never keep their children in limbo over such important things! So, pack your bags, enjoy your relationship with the Father….. and get out of the land of never enough!

Check out the Audio Version:

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 responses to “The Bible Belt – “The Land of Never Enough”

1. Mark Elmore

April 27, 2017 at 7:38 am

Andy, maybe the most powerful one so far!! thanks or standing tall!!

2. Ronnie Brickman

April 27, 2017 at 7:50 am

I love it! Thanks Andy

3. Rona

April 27, 2017 at 11:07 pm

It’s so hard to grasp the reality of grace but when you do there is such a weight lifted.
    Andy this is the most beautiful message I have heard you talk about. Thanks😊

• Andy R Taylor

April 27, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Thanks Rona! Really appreciate it! Yep…nothing like His grace!

4. Beau Bridges

April 28, 2017 at 9:49 am

Thanks Andy! So much dress in our daily lives today. It’s good to know we always have our safety and security in Christ and his Grace! Love you Brother
    C u down the road!

• Beau Bridges

April 28, 2017 at 9:50 am

I meant stress! Lol 😂

• Andy R Taylor

April 28, 2017 at 11:57 pm

Right on, Beau! Love you too!

5. Dennis Hickerson

April 28, 2017 at 5:53 pm

I was just discussing this with Brady Roach two days ago. I agree with you whole heartedly. Thank You my friend your a blessing

• Andy R Taylor

April 28, 2017 at 11:58 pm

Thanks Dennis! Grateful for your friendship, too!

6. crookedroadfaith

May 16, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Thank you for your words of wisdom. That sense of “not enough” is not just a Bible Belt thing. I believe it is prevalent across American Christianity and it breaks my heart. We as humans want so badly to continue to put limits on God and His blessings to us because we can’t understanding Him fully so we construct laws written and unwritten that direct how being a “good Christian” looks. The truth is as you say. God is Love…He is merciful and has given us His mercy and grace. Done. If only we could stop pointing fingers to find fault or others and simply rest in His gifts the ability to give the same to others would be so easy!